Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I sit here and let the food from our giant and delicious pre-thanksgiving potluck digest, I suppose it is time for a new post and an update on the Pullen chronicles. First things first, baby Logan is doing very well, and so is Mama. Today is my last day of work before the Holiday, and the first year in many that I have "Black Friday" off to spend with my family and of course, do some shopping :) Needless to say, I am very anxiously awaiting 5:30!

Thanksgiving may just be my favorite Holiday. While Christmas is pretty great, it can also be more stressful, what with all the focus on buying and receiving gifts, getting decorations set up, etc. However, with Thanksgiving it is just about a day of enjoying good food with family & friends. It's not about what you get or buy, but about sharing a special recipe and some good conversation. It's also a time to remind everyone to give thanks for just how lucky we all are. In that spirit, I've created a (partial) list of what I'm thankful for this year. This year has been an amazing one for me, full of lots of changes and opportunities that continue to convince Norm and I that we are truly truly blessed.

Things I am thankful for this year (in no particular order - except for maybe the first one)
  1. My wonderfully sweet, caring, and supportive husband, who can always make me smile.
  2. Baby Logan (who is still cooking away in Mommy's tummy) and Baby Audrey (almost 3 weeks old!), who are both proof of the miracles that God has given us, and a symbol of hope, joy, and family that will bless our lives forever.
  3. Family: I can't imagine what my life would be like without the love and support of each of my family members. To my mother who is my best friend, my sister who provides constant comfort, support, and advice, my father who is my rock, my brothers who have always been my friends/soul mates/confidants, my in-laws who have always welcomed me into their family with open arms, and to all of my extended family who bridge the gap of our long-distance through facebook, emails, and phone calls. And especially to my wonderful Aunt & Uncle and cousins who make the drive from MN to VA every year for Thanksgiving to spend time with us - it wouldn't be the same without you!
  4. Dogs: My own furry babies, Baxter & Leela, who always provide me with love, devotion, amusement, and lots of cuddles. All of my extended puppy family - Bandit, Molly, Ginger, Chubbs, Daisy, and even you Buster!! And to every friendly dog out there that makes me smile :)
  5. Friends: I truly have wonderful, wonderful, wonderful friends (& fRamily) who always there for me and have provided a lifetime of memories. To Samantha and Andrea - shout out for being BFF's for almost 15 years + now!
  6. Traditions: One of my favorite things to do on Thanksgiving is to paint ceramic ornaments with all of my family and with friends in the weeks after. Those lil painted expressions carry memories forever. (Look for pictures soon!)
  7. Being a homeowner and having a HOME. I can't believe how lucky Norm and I are to have found our perfect lil house, so close to family and friends, and to have crafted it into everything we want it to be (still a work in progress, but that's most of the fun anyways!).
  8. To be employed, and for my spouse to be employed as well. While no one likes to work, I definitely think it is something that a lot of people take for granted. I feel so thankful that both Norm and I are were able to find good jobs after college.
  9. Ice cream, cheeseburgers, and bacon. What can I say? I'm pregnant!!
  10. My health, and the health of my loved ones. Another thing that people take for granted.
  11. Freedom, and life in America. While I admit that I do frequently complain about this country, all it takes is a look at the experiences of some others to realize that we are lucky to even have the right to complain and actually work to effect change. I could go into a much, much longer rant about how blessed we are to be Americans and to live in the land of more than plenty.
  12. The Blue Ridge Mountains, Sunshine, and Sunsets.
Like I said, a partial list, but important things nonetheless!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. Been a while since we chatted, just wanted to say I love you and I hope to see you over the christmas holidays!

    I have started looking at baby things lately . . . and I cannot decide what i want to get Logan for Christmas. I knooooow it's not technically his real first christmas, but I can't resist! It is all so adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things (in no specific order) I am thankful for:
    1. Your disclaimer about the list not being in any particular order. The dogs came before friends. I love the dogs more than anyone... but seriously.
    2. The special BFF shoutout. I love you; your comment makes me feel really old though. I still feel like we're 15 when we hang out. You (and your fabulous husband) keep me young. (The post also made me tear up... which contributed to feeling old).
    3. Your list of things to be thankful for. It has reminded me of many things that I should be thankful for everyday.

    I looooove you, I love Norman, and I'm going to love Logan even more :) Muuah!

    ReplyDelete